LITIGATION SUPPORT - REPRESENTATIVE PROJECTS
Greene & Associates, Inc. has provided expert witness and technical expert services on various lawsuits and litigation projects. Typical lawsuits are as follows:
- Provided assistance to attorneys in arbitration of $300 million disagreement between fuel and oil purchaser buyer.
- Provided assistance to attorneys in a research project concerning use of asbestos in refineries, petrochemical plants and other industrial facilities.
- Provided assistance to attorneys in a lawsuit concerning the failure of a valve in a refinery. Worked on issues concerning cause and origin, and business interruption. Provided testimony.
- Provided assistance to attorneys in a lawsuit related to ethylene plant furnace tubes failure on issues concerning cause and origin, business interruption, insurance policy interpretation and property.
- Provided assistance to attorneys representing engineering and construction company in a multimillion dollar lawsuit related to petrochemical (ethylene) plant on issues concerning plant performance, furnace design and performance, and plant automation.
- Provided assistance to attorneys representing engineering and construction company in a multimillion dollar lawsuit related to olefins (ethylene) plant expansion project on issues concerning process, plant performance, equipment, plant production, project management and project economics.
- Provided assistance to attorneys in a lawsuit concerning refinery fire. Worked on property damage and business interruption.
- Provided assistance to attorneys representing E&P Company in a lawsuit concerning contamination caused due to leaks from pipelines. Worked on issues concerning pipeline standards, regulations, industry practices and related contamination.
- Provided assistance to attorneys in a case related to Superfund laws and related environmental laws. Provided testimony.
- Provided assistance to attorneys representing insurance companies in a groundwater contamination case on matters concerning historical pollution and cleanup costs. Provided testimony.
- Provided assistance to attorneys representing a contractor in arbitration related to offshore platform equipment construction problems caused due to vendor delays and breach of contract.
- Provided assistance to attorneys in a lawsuit concerning poly-olefins plant explosion on matters related to process design and cause of the explosion.
- Provided assistance to attorneys in a lawsuit concerning supply of contaminated crude oil that caused problems in a refinery.
- Provided assistance to attorneys in a lawsuit concerning fertilizer plant explosion on matters related to property damage and business interruption. Provided testimony.
- Provided assistance to attorneys in a lawsuit related to chemical plant explosion. Provided testimony.
- Provided assistance to a law firm representing an insurer against an oil company on subrogation matters related to styrene plant production loss due to an explosion that resulted in damage to styrene storage tanks
- Provided assistance on a lawsuit involving specialty petrochemical manufacturing facility and major oil company related to a manufacturing facility for lost profits due to failure to supply of the feedstock (waste) for his facility.
- Provided assistance on a lawsuit involving a valve manufacturer and an oil company/ petrochemical company concerning litigation related to an explosion at an ethylene plant due to valve failure on issues related to cause and origin, process failure, property damage, business interruption due to production losses (lost profits), operations, and maintenance and contributory negligence.
- Provided expert testimony on a lawsuit filed in the U.S. Bankruptcy Court involving two operating companies on matters related to fair market value/economic value of an idle refinery.
- Provided assistance on a lawsuit between a refiner and a construction company. Refining company was suing the construction company refinery caused by an incident for property damages and lost profits.
- Provided assistance on a lawsuit between a refiner and a power company. Refining company was suing the power supplier for on issues related to process, contractual issues, business interruption (lost profits), production analysis, and facility operations because of electric power failures at the refinery. Worked on issues related to process, contractual issues, property damage, and facility operations.
- Provided assistance on a lawsuit concerning an environmental claim for a commercial/residential property for a law firm representing a corporation against an insurance company. Prepared the claim and the interpretation of the liability based on environmental damage clauses in the policy.
- Provided assistance to a governmental organization on issues related to refined product claims. Project involved performing calculations for various pricing data, analyzing claims and statistical analyses of crude oil and refined product pricing. Worked for the legal department of the organization.
- Assisted a law firm on a law firm concerning construction dispute and project management problems relating to refinery unit at one of the West coast refineries
- Hired by a governmental agency on a lawsuit related to merger and acquisitions issues of two major oil companies. We worked on issues related to west coast oil exploration and production, oil supply and demand, refiners and their refining capacities, refining products marketing, and impact of merger on the west coast markets.
- Hired by a law firm representing the E&C Company concerning an arbitration related to project delays in manufacturing pressure vessels by the vessel manufacturer and consequential damages to the overall project.
Assisted attorneys on matters related to oil and gas property (natural gas wells) economic damages due to contract fraud and dispute.
- Assisted attorneys on matters related to lost profits on matters related gas losses due to pipeline damage.
Advised attorneys in case alleging poor quality crude oil was received for several years from large petroleum corporation.
- Assisted attorneys defending an engineering and construction company against an unfriendly takeover.
- Assisted attorneys and provided testimony in personal injury cases related to accidents, fires and explosions at chemical plants, petrochemical plants and refineries.
Served as arbitrator in LPG tanker product loss dispute.
- Assisted attorneys in a case involving allegations that contractor improperly constructed a â€śgrassrootsâ€ť oil refinery.
- Review and determine physical monetary losses from an attempted recompletion of a well in the Fry Sand in Runnels County that experienced problems with the cementing of the long string and resulted in excessive water production.
- Review and provide assistance to law firm with deposition on and oil field accident involving a large completion rig over a hole in West Texas, injuring several of the workers.
- Provide technical assistance in preparation for litigation on gas wells located onshore in South Texas to client representing a large privately owned operator/producer.
- Review incident in large South Texas natural gas plant and give deposition testimony concerning the cause and origin of the explosion and fire that occurred during welding operations.
- Review incident on large natural gas transmission system pipeline that was sold and being retrofitted into gathering system that had an flash fire (potential explosion) resulting in the death of one welder and critical injuries to several other parties.
- Determine physical monetary damages to a privately owned oil and gas exploration company operating in the Barnett Shale area northwest of Fort Worth, Texas, who suffered royalty losses (lost profits) due to outside third party liens being placed on currently active potential drill sites (gas wells) that were illegally encumbered by illegal claims.
- Provide deposition and court testimony concerning the proper FERC (modified) tariffs for transportation of oil from Gulf of Mexico, on the South Pass 89 and one of the West Delta platforms to shore in Venice, LA. Provide expert testimony on oil spills potential damage, the difficulty in obtaining pollution and liability insurance for any type of oil pollution, the hazards of operating offshore and related risks.
- Provided assistance to law firms on a merger and acquisition case between two chemical companies on environmental and safety issues. Performed investigations. Environmental issues involved violations concerning emissions from various process units and tanks. Worked on process issues related to these environmental problems including matters concerning API, ASTM and ASME standards. Worked on various pollution equipment and remedial cost claims. Depositional testimony.
- Provided assistance to a law firm on safety issues of the above case between two chemical companies on matters related to PSM and PHA aspects of OSHA regulations that involved multiple issues. Depositional testimony.
- Provide deposition testimony in an oil and gas case between an oil and gas property owner against fishing and well services company on cause of an incident related to drilling operations (milling/fishing). G&A assisted on matters related to cause of the incident and monetary damages (actual losses and lost profits) due to loss of a helium production well, and subsequently loss of Grade-A helium production from the manufacturing plant.
More information related to typical lawsuits are listed in environmental consulting services section.
We have also provided expert witness and technical expert services on lawsuits involving:
Process, Operations and Equipment
- Barge explosion
- Tankfarm fire and explosion
- Hydrocracking unit fire
- Reforming unit fire
- Fluid coking unit damage
- Hydrogen sulfide release
- Alkylation and reforming unit damage
- Furnace tube failures
- Metallurgical problems in process units
- Gas compressor failures
- Hydrocracker accidents
- Ethylene meter station accident
- Asphalt and gas plant evaluations
- Improper design and operation of gas plant
- Ruptured gas lines
- Process hazards
- Process reviews
- Natural gas plants
- Plant explosions and fires
- Furnace Design
Property Damage and Business Interruption
- Ammonia plants
- Petrochemical Plants (Ethylene plants)
- Gas plants
- Chemical Plants
- Oil and Gas properties, platforms and pipelines
- Industrial facilities
- Hazardous waste facilities
Business, Finance and Project
- Project economics
- Construction disputes
- Contract Delays
- Breach of fuel oil contracts
- Excessive turnaround costs
- Project management
- Project Economics
- Construction Delays
- Plant equipment
- Plant automation
- Sale and purchase of feedstocks
- Refinery and petrochemical product quality
- Plant evaluations
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Lost yields in refinery operations
- Price fixing of petroleum and its products
- Facility values ,cost estimates and cost segregation
Environmental, Health and Safety
- Pipeline leaks
- Regulatory problems
- Hazardous gas releases
- Superfund sites
- Hazardous waste contamination
- Refinery sabotage
- Industrial hygiene
- Environmental liability
- Groundwater contamination
- Environmental Due Diligence
- OSHA - 29 CFR 1910
- PSM and PHA
- Emissions, Leaks and Spills
- Personal Injury and Wrongful Death
- Crude oil pipeline accident
- Truck loading accident
- Pump failures
- Propylene shipment by tanker
- Waste water and storm water pipeline damage